Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday

Today, Eric headed back to Manitowoc for most of the day.  My Uncle Doug was scheduled to stop by to install a new central air conditioning unit, and we didn't want to miss that!  We're so thankful for him helping us out and saving us some money! 

Eric brought Levi to our friend Jessica, who will keep him overnight tonight.  Yesterday, we weren't able to have much of a family fun day because it was raining.  Since we had only a short amount of time, we ended up going to a McDonalds playland.  The kids had fun and were able to burn off some energy.

In the afternoon, I drove Alena and Levi to Wittenburg where I met my Aunt Mary.  She and her family will be caring for Alena (totally a paradise for her) for the remainder of the week.  Both kids were very tired, and Levi slept for a portion of the drive.  Alena perked up as soon as she switched cars and was a regular chatty cathy.  Levi stayed overnight with Eric and I in our "hotel" room, but we're very happy that it was only for one night!  He has been so whiney and doesn't seem to have a volume control.  He didn't fall asleep until after 10pm, even after his shorter than normal nap! 

It will sure be nice to not have to worry about watching our older ones for a few days so we can concentrate on Micah!  Eric has been running errands here, there, and everywhere!  We're both quite tired!  He could really use some rest and time with Micah, I'm sure!

Today, I was able to tie up some loose ends at work (basically conveying that no, I don't want to be informed about work stuff right now... I've got enough on my plate!), updating family members, making arrangements for Levi, visiting Micah, eating when I can, and, of course, pumping every 3 hours!  It doesn't sound like much, but it is really quite busy for me!  That, combined with a bit of stress, kind of planning for the unknown and hazy days ahead, and post-partum hormones have made me a little more emotional and less stable than usual.  Boy, I can't wait to spend some time alone with Eric, and, ultimately, to bring our sweet baby boy home! 

On the Micah front: 

He was a bit jaundiced yesterday, so he was placed under that special lighting during the day.  By evening, his levels had dropped and he no longer needed it.  Today, his biliruben levels were about the same as the evening before.  The nurse practitioner said that at this point in his age, the biliruben levels tend to start dropping, so he may be in the clear!  Praise God for one less thing!

He had been using less and less oxygen, and has absolutely been irritated by his c-pap breathing apparatus, that they decided to take it off and use only a nasal cannula!  Awesome!  I've been informed that he will need some adjustment time, and extra oxygen as he gets used to it.  He seemed so much happier, but his blood oxygen levels weren't doing as well.  I'm praying he is able to keep just the cannula as it is not only a step in the right direction, but much more comfy for him.  He is able to open his eyes with it, and is easier to kiss :) 
Afternoon nap shot after being fed.

Mama and baby Micah... with his eyes open!  He melts mommy's heart!


I got the chance to hold him three times today.  He seemed to relax and it is a stress reliever for me.  I feel like I'm actually doing something constructive.  I stroke his face and encourage him to keep fighting.  I think he really wants to go home, but I know he has a lot of work to do to get there! 

This evening, his blood oxygen levels were great, so we're hoping they stay that way!  He was so content and acting more like the little healthy baby he's growing into!

Things to pray for:
  • That Micah's respiration rate would slow and that he would require less oxygen!  Once he moves in this direction, I can start to nurse him, and we'll eventually be on the road to discharge!
  • For the amazing nursing staff, many of whom have been family and patient advocates!  I'm so thankful for them!  Pray that we continue to have caring, loving nurses!
  • My emotional and physical health.  I feel crazy with these hormones and am quite tired.
  • That we would turn to God in our weakness and be a witness to those around us!
Thanks to all who are lifting our family up in prayer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment