Before Micah was transported to Green Bay, the doctor put a trachea tube in so Micah could have the breathing support he needed. In the NICU, he had that in for about 24 hours before it was removed. They tried to just utilize a nasal canula of oxygen after that, but Micah was wearing himself out breathing on his own. He didn't do very well with just that. Not surprisingly, he needed more help. Since then, he has had what I interpret as a C-pap. It's plastic tubing and a small mask that go over his nose. It not only gives him oxygen, but creates a pressurized seal that helps him to breath easier.
 |
| Saying goodbye before Micah is transported to Green Bay! 3 hours old! |
 |
| Such a cute little bugger! |
 |
| Quick shot of Micah with just the nasal canula. 1 day old! |
Saturday was a day of rest for all of us! We were all so pooped from Friday's whirlwind that we really tried to take it easy! Micah was very tired, too, and slept without fuss for pretty much the entire day! It was so nice to have a place for Eric and I to crash where we still had easy access to our newborn! He did get to meet his Auntie Ashley, and Grandma Hawkins.
Sunday, we had lots of visitors. Micah got to meet Grandpa and Grandma Cerkas, Uncle Timmy, Jeremy and Leslie Edwards. He really isn't much to see with his face all squished up and all of the wires protruding from him, but it's nice for Eric and I to be able to share our experience a bit!
Earlier in the day, Eric and I said a quick good morning to Micah, and then went to church... it's just how we roll :) When we returned, the nurse offered for me to hold him. The only time I was truly able to hold him prior to that was when he was placed on my belly for a few minutes after birth, so I jumped at the chance. Just writing this a day later is bringing tears to my eyes because of what a blessing that nurse was to us that day! Two nurses worked on untangling his wires, bundled him up and placed him in my arms. I held him gingerly as his monitor would go off here and there, but it felt amazing to have my baby in my arms for those 30 minutes! Since he's covered in straps and wires, I just stared at him, prayed over him, and took in his sweet smell. I only wish Eric would have had the chance, too. His time will come.
No comments:
Post a Comment