Friday, June 7, 2013

The Great NICU Poop Explosion!

Oh, thank you, Lord, for the gift of laughter!!  Today and tonight, we were blessed with laughter and a glimpse of hope! 

This afternoon, as I was washing up parts of my pump in the NICU, I could hear Micah getting pretty worked up, crying.  His nurse commented that he was crying more loudly than she had ever heard him before.  I happily commented that it was good exercise for him!  He really hasn't been very fussy at all, and tolerates his situation relatively well.  He rebels more by pulling on his wires and nasal cannula.

The nurse then started his cares (which happens every 3 hours), which included taking his temperature, changing his diaper, and feeding.  When I turned to return to Micah's bed, I heard a wet, explosion fart.  The nurse made a startled sound and commented that she had to have a quick reaction!  Yes, Micah projectile pooped during the diaper change, spraying a bit of poop on his bed!

As the nurse started to clean up that mess, I saw and heard another explosion (combined with a little baby grunt).  The nurse exclaimed, "Oh boy, I've got poop all over me, now, too!"  She really just had poop on her hand, but there was also more poop all over his bed!  And then he pushed one more wet fart out!!!  It was hilarious!!!  The nurse and I were laughing together, which really lightened the day! 

I held the last of 3 diapers on his little dupa as the nurse went to the sink to clean herself up.  Lucky for me, there was no more poop, not that we needed any more!  Then, I looked at Micah's face just in time to see that he had single handily yanked his cannula out of his nose and was pretty much chewing on it!  The funniest part was that he was inadvertently pulling down his cheeks since the cannula is stuck with tape-ish stuff to his face!!  He had that scary eye look, but looked so innocent doing it!!

When she returned, she folded up his soiled blankets so as not to spread the mess, fixed his cannula, and grabbed a fresh diaper.  She quickly slipped the diaper under him, but then had to turn Micah's alarm off.  She left the diaper open and distracted us just long enough for Micah to pee on his own face, all over his body, and bed!!!  Good grief!  I quickly got that diaper on before something crazy happened!

Of course, I stuck around to help the nurse (by holding my baby) to strip Micah's bed.  She commented that she has never had anything like that happen in her 30 some years of NICU nursing!!  Leave it to my kid!  The laughter relieved some stress and was just a great break for me!!  Thank you, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment