Friday, January 21, 2011

Levi Russell



Levi Russell Cerkas entered the world on Wednesday, January 19 at 11:50 am! He weighed in at 9lbs 8oz and 20.5 in. We were very thankful that he was born prior to his due date!
.
I first thought I might be going into labor at 7am and started timing the contractions. Within a half an hour, I realized that I should probably call Eric home from work (he left a 5:30am and I was fine then) since the contractions were 7 minutes or less apart and pretty strong. I called a friend who picked up Alena (thanks, Lori!) around 8:45. Boy, was I glad I did as the contractions got much stronger after that!
.
We arrived at the hospital a little after 9:30 and had just enough time to get our affairs in order before everything got intense. I was already at 7cm when we got there. We got an epidural (which didn't work very well at all this time), doc broke my water, and tried to relax. We had to call the nurse back in a half an hour or so later because I thought we were ready to push... and we were! Like I said, the epidural wasn't working very well, so I was in a hurry to get him out! The doc rushed out of the OR to deliver, and everything got crazy, quickly, and thankfully! Levi was born 5 minutes later!
.
He was super healthy from the get go, so we were able to have a "normal" post delivery experience. With Alena, she was rushed off to the nursery right away and we could only spend time with her there. Levi spent is first 45 minutes of life bonding with me instead of with a nurse or getting cleaned up. It was so refreshing for us!! He peed on me twice and pooped once, also making us thankful that his "plumbing" worked great. Right from the get go, he has nursed great, despite the fact that he is mildly tongue-tied.
.
I had called my mom earlier to let her know that we were in labor because we wanted her to be there for the delivery. Well, she wasn't able to make it in time for the delivery :( She arrived about 1/2 hour after he was born. We were thankful, though, that she was able to share in the rest of our experience. She was ecstatic to be able to help the nurse to give him his first bath.
.
We were able to come home the day after he was born because we were both doing so well! I feel 100 times better than I did after Alena was born! Almost normal, praise the Lord! We've spent the last 24 hours catching up on sleep and getting used to having a baby around again. Alena came home from her grandpa & grandma's house this afternoon and has been adjusting as well. My mom and stepdad are here and have been helping out tremendously!!
.
We are all very thankful for how everything has been going and pray that we can continue to adjust easily to a family of 4! We are so very blessed with our son and daughter! The Lord has been good to us!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I think we're coming out the first weekend of February so hopefully we can meet him then. I'm so glad everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Apryl! I am so glad to hear that everything went well with the delivery and that you are doing well. Greg and I look forward to meeting Levi. We will have to take a day trip up to Manitowoc once you guys get settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooo Hoooo! So happy to hear Levi came a little early rather than late! The three of you look great in the photo & i'm sure Alena is all smiles as she learns how to help take care of her new baby brother! Congrats!
    Know that we are thinking of you guys often.
    Can't wait to meet little Levi!

    ReplyDelete